Sunday 7 April 2013

Blackbeard's Tea Party


Hey guys, I have three blogs up my sleeve for you this week! Sadly they will not be in the order I wanted them to be because technically this one should be last but I just can't wait to tell you about my adventure in York! 
Photo: #york #north #mint
Source: Stolen from Rosie's Facebooook. 
We went to York for my AWESOME friend Laura and her birthday celebrations. 

My friends and I went to see a band called Blackbeard's Tea Party, I genuinely didn't know what to expect. I pretty much had quite a chilled out folk band vibe in my head. I was sooooooo wrong!! If you go onto their website www.blackbeardsteaparty.com. They are described as...
"Funky folk tunes, saucy songs and an infectious stage energy, Blackbeard's Tea Party mix fiddles & squeezeboxes, guitar noise & synth bass, and a feast of international hand percussion to bring you an unforgettable folk-rock extravaganza."

The only thing missing from this description is the word pirate, pirateish or perhaps pirate adjacent but then perhaps this is implied in the bands extremely apt name. Guys watching these perform was like nothing I have seen for a very long time! You can absolutely tell that the entire band love to play and they do a fantastic job of drawing the crowd in and getting everyone involved, it is impossible not to at least bob your head or tap your toes along with everyone else in the crowd, by the end the entire group I was with was joining in and punching the air at every opportunity, infectious stage energy couldn't be a more accurate description.
Source: blackbeardsteaparty.com
At this moment i'd just like to take a second to remind everyone how much I like pirates... and also to say i'm singing the song Chicken on a raft in my head. 

Ay-O Chicken on a raft!

We saw them at a venue called 'The Duchess' in York, excellently intimate and it completely lends itself to the bands sound, at one point I honestly felt like I was in some sort of secret cave, then out came the sword dancers which very nearly made me lose all sense of reality. It's bands like this and gigs like these that remind me why I love live music so much. Sometimes it's easy to forget what it feels like to be stood with people who are all there for the same reason and all getting caught up in the same moment as you. 
Source: weheartit.com
This band know their stuff, with a sound that I haven't heard before yet seems strangely familiar. They have more instruments than I would even attempt to list and a violinist that could rival any lead guitarist Blackbeard's Tea Party are a must see! If these guys are at a venue near you I implore neigh insist that you go and see them and then message me on here and tell me how excellent my taste is, i'd like that
Also buy their new album here! 

So moving on from the gig portion of the evening, Laura, Ellie, Rosie and I along with a host of Laura's lovely friends danced the night away drinking extremely cheap vodka and free shots. Here's what happened next... 
Rosie and Ellie woop!

...


sexxxxxxxy


Ellie was born to be in the spotlight.
I'm not going to lie to you guys, I respect you too much. We danced to the Spice Girls and David Guetta, we drank too much and ate pizza and then when we finally got into bed we all sat watching videos of goats that scream like humans for about half an hour. 

Fast Forward to 0:24 for the real giggles. 

That's just who we are, a group of bloody fantastic weirdos. Wouldn't change them for the woooorld. 

Love yah don't ah! 

Have an excellent Sunday Evening, I'm going to go now because i'm still hungover and this is making my eyes hurt. 

Love, 
Me. 

@Nataliefurlong
natfurlong.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment