Friday 6 April 2012

Squish the Spider!

Anyone out there afraid of spiders? If so raise your hand. 
It's not that rare to be afraid of spiders, what I do think is much rarer is the ability to come up with insane ways to try and trap/catch/kill them. A few years ago while living in a shared student house with this lovely lady, there was a spider situation... Everyone give Ellie a Woop Woop
Wooop Wooop.
So one evening I heard a cry come from her room, obviously because I am a big nosy parker I went a knockin'. There in the corner of her room was a HUGE ugly spider. I'm not going to put a picture of a spider because it gives me the screaming heebie jeebies. 

Just picture one. 

Not only was this spider huge, it had managed to find a lovely spot halfway up the wall right in the corner. A place that no glass could possibly capture it. We sat, we stared, willing it to move so we could cover it. Roughly an hour later it had not moved a muscle. Right get me a long stick or something I said, I'm just gonna smoosh it into the wall and end this madness! The best tool we could find at this point was an umbrella. 
Basically the plan was I would line up the umbrella on one of the walls scoot it along really fast thus squashing the spider when the end of the umbrella reached the corner. As I set up my heart quickened, my mouth dry and the hairs on my neck stood up. We stood side by side ready to face this demon, you could have cut the tension with a knife. I took a deep breath and made my move... Sadly I had misjudged the angle and before the umbrella reached the corner it basically just got stuck on the wall. 
AAARRRGGGHHH
With nothing achieved other than a strong taste of failure in my mouth and an indent along the wall I looked at Ellie ready to laugh, she looked at me, we both looked at the spider. Who chose that specific moment to leap from the wall to the floor. Naturally being the cool calm and collected people that we are I screamed and jumped onto the bed, Ellie screamed and used her slipper-ed foot to stomp on the spider. 

Right then, Well that's that. 
P.s. I do not condone the harming of animals, I am just terrified of spiders. 

Lets connect! @NatalieFurlong 

No comments:

Post a Comment